While acai bowls are relatively new in the United States, they’ve been a staple in Brazil since, well forever. Acai is a purple berrylike fruit of a palm tree native to Central and South America. It’s packed with antioxidants (anthocyanins) and omega-3 fatty acids. We used unsweetened frozen puree, which has a pleasant flavor with slight olive oil notes. Add the traditional toppings and this bowl is loaded with fiber.
- 2 4-ounce packets unsweetened frozen acai puree
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons granola
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- Break the frozen acai up a little by slapping the sealed packets on the countertop or hitting them with a meal mallet.
- Blend the berries with 1/2 the banana, 1/4 cup of the blueberries and the honey in the blender, stopping to stir and break up the mixture as needed, until it’s the consistency of a thick smoothie.
- Transfer to a cereal bow.
- Slice the remaining 1/2 banana. Arrange the slices, the remaining 1/4 cup blueberries, granola, pomegranate seeds and coconut flakes in neat piles or rows on top of the acai.
- Take a photo!
See original post here.